Thursday, July 8, 2010

Seeing Life Better: Photography

Yesterday, I had my picture taken by an incredible photographer named Lisa Roah. She not only has this brimming enthusiasm that makes you so excited and comfortable, but she also has the sharpest eye when it comes to capturing the moment.

Just as I was peering over her shoulder, I saw a few shots and realized how vibrant the images were.

I haven't been a connoisseur of photography for very long, and my research of it isn't as extensive as say, theater... but after going to a couple galleries dedicated solely on photography I've realized that its a unique art in that it, yes, realistically captures moments of life; but more importantly, and beyond that obvious fact, photography reels your eyes to a composition where you see the world better. Beyond 20/20 vision, photography can help you understand an experience that you couldn't have realized without the help of the artist and the art form.

Photo-journalism's importance and poignancy is clear with that trait. We learn through frozen scenes. We experience through images that simulate what we could see through our own eyes, and in that, we live what's on the page.

Check out Lisa Roah and her extraordinary work at www.lisaroah.com

Below are a few photographs that I just loved when I went to the SFMOMa. I have a huge affinity towards landscape and political California photography.


Henry Wessel, Southern California, 1985; gelatin silver print; Collection SFMOMA, Accessions Committee Fund Purchase; © Henry Wessel


A Women in Berkeley, CA

Dorothea Lange's photography epitomized the depression along with the struggles of the "Oakies".


William A. Garnett, Contour Graded Hills, Ventura County, California, 1953; gelatin silver print; Collection SFMOMA, Accessions Committee Fund Purchase; © Estate of William A. Garnett

Now for some color!

These are by another fantastic photographer named Simone Anne... www.simoneanne.com



No comments:

Post a Comment