Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Airport Attire

On my way up to Berkeley, to see my exquisite friends, I leave LAX airport, with a single carry-on, and the tools any traditional style-anthropologist would have: a notebook, camera, and gold studded, leather braclet. I have many standards for myself, like kindness, manners, doing good for mankind, the whole lot, but presentable travel-fatigues are amongst the Deakers-Code!




Thou shalt not sport cloth of holes and tatter, ever, even if you are in economy class

It's honestly just something that's been conditioned in me-- I see how tempting One-zie pajamas with bunny slippers are when a flight to Shanghai is in the near distant future, but there is always a better alternative.

As a daughter of a Delta Airlines pilot and flight attendant, I was required to dress appropriately by company regulations whenever I flew with or without my family. As a child wearing her Sunday Best (hat, and all) on her family's seasonal ski trip to Salt Lake City, I thought this rule was just ridiculous. But now, I appreciate what it has instilled in me.

Remember, a traveler is not only a guest venturing into a new place, but an envoy for your hometown. Diplomacy can be represented through a respectful appearance. I would never want people to think everyone from LA wears jumpsuits and bunny slippers, and neither should you.

Here are just a few suggestions for a comfortable and stylish travel outfit.

Rocker with a Professional Twist (I wore this exact outfit for my flight to Oakland)...




GUESS Daredevil skinny jeans are clean and pose as perfect pieces to match with potential outfits for your trip. In this lighter indigo wash, these daredevils are slimming AND comfortable with a stretch material. Snug in the perfect places, they always show off your best assets.



I love these Black Book Collection Tanks from H&M... they are great conversation starters with funny lines like "Vampires En Denim" or "L'amour est éternel". The t-shirt design basically reflects a genre of clothing-- internet based designs. Andrè Lorens Stock finds his screen prints online, and creatively composes them together for a snappy shirt.



To make the rocker look complete wear one signature piece to give it that subdued, hard look without going overboard. For example, I just love any skinny, tan leather cuff bracelet with gold studs... I couldn't find the exact one I wore, but these are very similar.







Now, not only will you make your ensemble look more put-together, but you will also save room in your suitcase by wearing your blazer while you travel. I was wearing an ABS cotton, three quarters-length, black blazer on my trip. It gives a professional flare, which is always nice to have, but it is still cozy!

Most of these are boyfriend styles, but even tuxedo, and classic will always work. Halogen, Hinge, and Kenna-T are always dependable lines to get these pieces. While some people think summer is when white should be worn before the expiration date of Labor Day, try coffee hues instead, like Latte!

Romping Around in a Romper

Now for those travelers out there who are tempted to wear their pajamas in the airport, throw your Onezie/footie pajamas in the suitcase (or the trash...), and jump into a romper!

I appreciate the concept of a romper for other people, but like the various religions out there, I respect our difference of opinion, acknowledge the legitimacy and truth of the practice, but do not believe in Romper-ism myself. Mainly because I don't believe God meant for me to wear one with my 5'4.5" frame... but nonetheless, here are some of my favorites!









BCBGeneration has some of the most glamorous and sexy rompers out there in fantastic colors. The teal just makes me want to convert to Romper-ism, God-willing! I suggest always looking for a romper with sleeves of some sort, just so you don't look like you're wearing a bathing suit. But if you find a sleeveless romper with a great sweetheart neckline, put on a jacket to complete the airport outfit.

These are just a few suggestions for summer travel! When it comes to packing, always think of versatile staples that can cross borders just like you are!

1 comment:

  1. yes yes yes!

    also, as a wise person once told me..."a good romper is hard to find"

    ReplyDelete