Friday, June 18, 2010

Style and Travel: A Love Story

When traveling alone, like I did on this weekend trip to Berkeley, I especially love interacting with people, but so often it seems like we all exist independently, separate in our own force fields. I feel like I'm breaking some sort of Hobbesian social code by striking up a conversation with someone sitting next to me in the South West terminal, but my natural gregarious-self cannot remain loyal to such rules.

I've realized, that this resistance to strangers, distances us from learning something from one another. Perhaps the reason travel is so educational, is none other than the inordinate about of people we meet.

Traveling is not only getting to the destination, but the anticipation of it-- being in transit and doing none other than my favorite thing-- PEOPLE WATCHING.

Especially traveling alone, you can't help, but notice the people around you. This blog post is dedicated to a couple I found to be really endearing, and fascinating...

Is Love Fashionably Compatible? I Think So!

I wonder if eHarmony.com ever thought of adding style to one of their components to discern compatibility? As people date, marry, and find partners, they can't help but confront style.

But it doesn't matter what you wear, for style isn't what's on your chest, but the beating heart behind it! In many cases, love (and style) is truly blind to your significant other! But in this case, I found two people who happened to have different perspectives, but really complemented one another.



On the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) I met a couple going to San Francisco for a weekend getaway. What struck me about them was their individualistic looks, yet what made them meld together so well (aside from their endearing adoration) was their confidence in their own styles.

I regret that I didn't catch their names, but this couple was so friendly and nice, and I appreciate their open hearts to a budding style writer.

This man is wearing a red vintage cap matching his red converse kicks. While the match-y reds could be overwhelming, he blends the head to toe crimson with a simple black-t and dark wash jeans. The gray light-weight cardigan connects the piece, lightening the color palette on his torso.

This gal, I couldn't help but spot from a mile away. She has two contrasting focal pieces that make the outfit superb.

She wears J-Crew's Panama Straw hat for a vacation look, while having it as a functional piece for all the sight-seeing. Then, her chunky, jeweled long-stranded necklace from Anthropologie, off-sets the the sporty, androgynous look with feminine pazazz.



These necklaces are similar to what she is wearing!











Like good chorus members to any production, they should highlight the stars, which happen to be the Panama Straw Hat and necklace. Her white top, black blazer, and green-brown skinny cargo pants act as a strong backdrop. These masculine staple pieces have feminine flare in the construction, making her ensemble a perfect union of male undertones and feminine fabulous-ness!

Thanks again to the happy couple-- you brightened my day, and I appreciate your enthusiasm! For all those cute couples out there, if I see you, I won't be afraid to ask what you're wearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment