Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Fashion at the Tony's.

To quote the great and ever-present force that sashays through my head, Liza Minelli says, "It's up to you"!

And yes it is-- like a lot of things in life, your sheer will and determination has everything to do with your present attitude. And style is no exception. Let's wave our jazz hands as I show you my favorite fashion moments at the Tony's. No Chorus Line gold leotards necessary.

Obviously this post is musical theater themed (like much of my life). So don't mind the crazed theater-y jokes.

My version of Julie Andrew's "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music would consist of Broadway and a red-carpet dress. I love those two things so much, I just wouldn't know who to save if perched on the opposite ends of an erupting volcano.

So could you imagine my bat-shit crazy excitement for the Tony Awards? My inner gay man was just exploding with show tune squeals.

Here we go, kiddos...grab your pashminas, and prepare to wet yourselves with utter glory.



Lea Michele, star of Glee and once original cast member of Spring Awakening, looks incredible in a Zac Posen saffron gown. Oh hey, Zac Posen, this might be one of my favorite dresses of all time. I have an utter obsession with the color saffron, for its saturation, and eye-catching ability.

So let me just put this out on the interwebz table-- Scarlet Johansson can wear anything she wants and get away with it because she is so gosh darn gorgeous. But I truly applaud this black number. A great choice for her first, and successful Tony Awards. ScarJo won for her performance in A View From the Bridge. The Elie Saab gown is a glamorous and classy rendition of a jazzy, sequin costume Sally Bowles might wear.What I love about this silhouette is the double deep-v action. The slivers of skin create an interesting twist to a seemingly traditional dress.

*Addendum to ScarJo's dress-- I recently was informed that her dress was actually GREEN, not black... oh how my eyes deceive me! Actually, that is just an example of how dynamic fabric and color are with photography and lighting... sometimes fashion can only be truly seen and appreciated with the naked eye.





In this powder blue Atelier Versace gown, Catherine Zeta Jones enthusiastically waves from the stage as she accepts her award for her performance in A Little Night Music. With the structured bodice hugging her torso against the flow of fabric, she is truly reminiscent of Grace Kelly. Nothing can be better than a modernized version of classic glamor!





Viola Davis, exquisite actress and winner of Best Female in Revival, wins for her performance in Fences. She stands with her co-star, Denzel Washington, winner of Best Male in a Revival. When Davis began her acceptance speech she said, "I don't believe in luck or happenstance, but the presence of God in my life". Well, she looks divine in a chartruse halter! While photographs don't necessarily depict how striking the dress really was, television caught how illuminant it was! I love color that really hits you, stamping a memory in your head.

2 comments:

  1. I died when I saw the Scarlett Johanson (spell check) gown. I died even more when I found out that it is actually GREEN! I am loving this blog, Deakers. You have quite a way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait! thanks for the tip-- i had no idea it was GREEN!!

    ReplyDelete